Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Banquet

Each day I've been here has felt like a week. I am continuously surprised when I realize how many days I've actually been here.

The only thing on the agenda on Day 3 was the Opening Ceremony from 3 to 6. The ceremony was nice, lots of nice speeches, lots of things I both needed to hear and hated to hear. I sat next to a girl from England who was really cool and my roommate who is really nice also sat with me. The speeches were all in English except for one made by the Japanese instructor. She spoke very clearly and even though I didn't know very much of what she was saying, I could pick out a few words.

Part of the ceremony was a banquet. There were many foods, including some international cuisine and I tried several different things. I had three pieces of sushi--the names of which I don't know except for the Unagi (eel) which I actually liked. I still had trouble with the seaweed wrapped one, but the others were more manageable. I also had yakitori, which was no doubt delicious as it is teriyaki chicken ('yaki' from teriyaki and 'tori' meaning 'bird', or in this case 'chicken'). I had some unknown food that I wish I could have found out what it was because it was quite good, and I had some tempura eggplant, asparagus, pumpkin, and lotus root. All very nice. For dessert I had green tea ice cream which was strange though not altogether unpleasant. All in all, the banquet was lovely and I enjoyed being able to try different foods in a low stress environment. I am considerably more nervous about trying foods my homestay mother prepares.

Anyhow, I have to get to a meeting here on Day 4. I have lots to write about so hopefully I will get to write more later.

1 comment:

Gray Rinehart said...

Chris says eel is a good sushi to start out with. I told him he should read your blog himself instead of relying on me to tell him what you wrote.

But keep on posting! I enjoy it, and I'm especially glad that you had a good time!

Love,
Dad